In the twelfth century the name Chizzingensspuehel is mentioned for the first time in a document of the Chiemsee monastery. Chizzo relates to a Bavarii clan, Buhel describes the location of the settlement upon a hill.
Kitzbuhel became part of Upper Bavaria in 1255. Louis II, Duke of Bavaria granted Kitzbuhel the rights of a city on June 6, 1271, and it was fortified with mighty city walls. During the next centuries the city became a focus of trade, grew steadily and never was affected by wars. So the city walls were razed at the level of the first floor and used for building new houses.